About the instructors
ABOUT Inclusive Solutions
Psychologists – Community Builders – Trainers – Teachers – Person Centred Planners – Inclusion Facilitators – Innovators – Consultants – Authors – Publishers Inclusion Visionaries
Colin Newton and Derek Wilson are Co-founders and Directors of Inclusive Solutions. Together they have a combined experience of over 65 years as educational psychologists working across the UK.
For 18 years since founding Inclusive Solutions they have offered a range of inspiring inclusion oriented services including casework, person centred planning, innovative training and community building. Previously as Principal and Senior strategic Educational Psychologists in Nottingham City LEA, they bring a wealth of practical, applied solutions and processes from their work with children and young people with exceptional needs aged between 0-19.
Together they have written several books such as: Creating Circles of Friends, Circles of Adults, Restorative Solutions, Keys to Inclusion and Person Centred Planning Together. Inclusive Solutions is also a small publishing house and has published a number of books for other leading internationally renouned inclusive authors including: Incurably Human, Taking the Time, Seeing the Charade, Quiet Riot and Dear Parents.
They have planted and built Community Circles in Nottingham, Scotland and Suffolk. They continue to co facilitate Nottingham NG Circle which has been running for over 8 years.
Currently they are providing training nationally and internationally with a wonderful team of associates.
From 1998 – 2001 Colin was Principal Educational Psychologist of City of Nottingham LEA where he contributed to the consultation on and successful development of an inclusive education policy across the LEA. In 1999 Colin and Derek collaborated in the writing of Circles of Friends reflecting some 5 years of training and development work to bring this approach to the UK. In 2001 he co founded Inclusive Solutions with Derek to promote the mainstream inclusion of all children and adults across the UK whatever their difference, impairment or challenge.
In 2004 Colin and Derek wrote Creating Circles of Friends a revised and extended version of the original text including a chapter on secondary schools. In 2006 he co wrote ‘Circle of Adults: A Team Approach to Problem Solving Around Challenging Behaviour and Emotional Needs‘. Colin completed the writing of Restorative Solutions – Making it Work together with Helen Mahaffey in 2008.
Keys to Inclusion was published in 2011 and contains many of the ideas they use when delivering the training day of the same name.
Together with Claire Darwin Principal Educational Psychologist, Schools Choice, Suffolk – Colin and Derek in 2017 finished writing and publishing a book entitled Person Centred Planning Together a culmination of years of working with person centred planning tools and processes in real world contexts.
Colin’s career has been values driven, but also practical using applied psychology in training and real life problem solving with schools, families and individual children and young people.
- From 1989 – 1998 Colin worked in Nottinghamshire educational psychology service as a senior psychologist in Nottingham city with a specialist role in research and development. During this period Colin co wrote Managing Change in Schools, a practical handbook. He led on the development of the ‘Bulwell Vision’ a community initiative to improve behaviour and mental health in a disadvantaged city area
- He spent 5 years in Essex as an educational psychologist
- Colin started out as a primary school teacher in East Anglia and then went on to train and work as an Educational Psychologist in Newcastle
- Colin is a proud parent to two sons and a daughter
‘Inclusive Solutions’ are a team of psychologists and associates who specialise in mainstream inclusion for disabled and challenging children and adults. We make available cutting edge practical strategies and ideas for developing effective inclusion in local mainstream schools and communities. We use ideas that have been developed internationally and adapt them to the UK context. We work with anyone who wants to bring about the real systems changes that are necessary to move towards a truly inclusive society.
- Founded in 2001 by Colin Newton and Derek Wilson, Inclusive Solutions is in its 19th year of providing accessible interactive training on all aspects of inclusive practice in education settings and beyond. We work around all aspects of inclusion from mental health challenges, to SEND issues including autism and challenging behaviour. Over time we have made links with a range of disabled and non-disabled associate trainers, within the UK and beyond and full descriptions of our associates can be found here on our website.
- We write, produce and publish teaching materials relating to inclusive education and through the ONLINE STORE of our website we promote a wide range of books, DVDs and other teaching aids. For the full listing see here.
- Over the past 18 years we have worked very regularly with educators in a wide range of schools, settings and local authorities across the UK. Our full training list can be found here.
- We provided our ˜Keys to Inclusion” training day for many schools, LA teams and SENDCO training events across the UK.We were commissioned by Oxfordshire Early Years and Childcare Service to work with over 20 settings in the County helping them to develop a shared vision for their newly designated children’s centres with parents and community members.
- For 8 years we contributed to the London Borough of Southwark’s training directory for early years and have regularly worked with the managers of Southwark’s maintained settings on a wide range of themes.
- We are providing jointly facilitated person centred work with families alongside training for a range of Support Service staff in Suffolk. This includes training work on collaborative problem solving and person centred planning.
- We are providing direct educational psychologist input in Suffolk, Sheffield, West Sussex and elsewhere. Our innovative work creating the role of Inclusion Facilitator and how this links with person centred planning has been directly emulated by LAs around the UK.
- Feedback on our work can be found here.